Letter of Inquiry
Unsolicited letters of inquiry are only accepted for the following programs:
Organizations should be eligible 501(c)3 or international equivalent organizations. Organizations in the U.S. must be listed in the most current IRS 50 State Master File at the time the application is submitted.
- Organizations that have already received a grant, but have not completed an impact report, may not apply or receive a new grant.
- Overhead/indirect costs (non-program-related expenses) may not exceed 10% of the total program budget.
- While the majority of Walmart and Walmart Foundation grants are less than two years, organizations may propose initiatives with timeframes that extend up to three years. No-cost extensions may be requested for up to an additional 12 months, if necessary.
- Following review of your letter of inquiry (LOI), if Walmart or the Walmart Foundation is interested in pursuing your request, a full proposal requesting additional information will be invited. Due to the large volume of inquiries we receive, we are unable to provide an exact timeframe during which we will complete your LOI review.
- Funding decisions are made on an ongoing basis. There are no deadlines.
- LOIs must be completed in full and submitted online to be considered.
- We will not consider any materials submitted by mail.
- Submitting an LOI does not guarantee funding.
- Guidelines may be adjusted without prior notice.
- Association/chamber memberships
- Athletic sponsorships (teams, events)
- Capital campaigns and endowments (defined as any plans to raise funds for a significant purchase or expense, such as new construction, major renovations or to help fund normal budgetary items)
- Faith-based organizations when the proposed grant will only benefit the organization or its members
- General operating expenses
- Political causes, candidates, organizations or campaigns
- Scholarships (tuition, room and board or any other expense related to college, university or vocational school attendance)
- Sponsorship of fundraising events (galas, walks, races, tournaments)
All grant applications are made subject to review of the organization’s reputation and activities, and its agreement to comply with applicable terms and conditions.